- Get the "whole system" in
the room. Invite a significant cross-section of all parties with a stake
in the outcome.
- Explore the "whole elephant" before
seeking to fix any part. Get everyone talking about the same world.
Think globally, act locally.
- Put common ground and future focus front and center
while treating problems and conflicts as information, not action items.
- Encourage self-management and responsibility for action
by participants before, during, and after the future search.
- Urge full attendance - Keep part-time participants to a minimum.
- Meet under healthy conditions - This means airy rooms with
windows, healthy snacks and meals, adequate breaks.
- Work across three days (sleep twice) - People need "soak
time" to take in everything that happens.
- Ask for voluntary public commitments to specific next steps
before people leave.