Future Search Principles and Conditions for Success
- Get the “whole system” in the room. Invite a significant cross-section of all parties with a stake in the outcome.
- Explore the “whole elephant” before seeking to fix any part. Get everyone talking about the same world. Think globally, act locally.
- Put common ground and future focus front and center while treating problems and conflicts as information, not action items.
- Encourage self-management and responsibility for action by participants before, during, and after the Future Search.
- Urge full attendance – Keep part-time participants to a minimum.
- Meet under healthy conditions – This means airy rooms with windows, healthy snacks and meals, adequate breaks.
- Work across three days (sleep twice) – People need “soak time” to take in everything that happens.
- Ask for voluntary public commitments to specific next steps before people leave.
For more information please join us on: